DEMOCRACY AND GOVERNANCE
- To have elections that allow for free expression of citizens, yielding results [that] are respected;
- To contribute to greater transparency and accountability in public institutions; and
- To contribute towards strengthening of institutions of democracy and governance
Country Assessments on Democracy and Good Governance; High Level Advocacy Missions on the Democratisation and Electoral Processes; Election Monitoring and Observation; Monitoring of human rights, Democratic Development in the SADC region.
RULE OF LAW
To contribute towards the strengthening of and independence and accountability of the judiciary institutions in SADC; and To contribute towards the credibility of the legal profession in the SADC
Advocacy on the reinstatement and strengthening of the SADC Tribunal; and Building Capacity of Lawyers to utilise supra-national Tribunals or Courts
To contribute to laws / practices that allow higher degree of participation of women in social, economic, political sectors in the SADC; To contribute towards SADC minimum conditions of prisons & rights of prisoners; To have the rights of human rights defenders protected by national laws, policies and institutions.
Country Studies/Assessments on Human Rights; Training of Lawyers on Human Rights; Litigation on human rights cases of public interest; Development of and advocacy for the adoption of the SADC Standard Minimum Guidelines for the Treatment and Management of Detainees;/ Learning and Sharing Experiences on Management of Prisons in the SADC Countries; and/ Advocacy for the Rights of Prisoners,
To be part of the knowledge base that guides law societies on EPAs protocol; To have standards of practice of law in the SADC region that create a basis for harmonization; and To have a mechanism that compels SADC countries to respect / implement tribunal verdicts.
- To be the first port of call on local and regional legal policy reform;
- To have long-term strategic partners that provide adequate financial resources for SADC LA to meet all its operational / programmatic demands; and
- To have a fully functional secretariat that can effectively implement SADC strategy.
- Strengthening Individual and Institutional Membership of SADC-LA;
- Strengthening the capacity of SADC-LA staff, councillors and members to implement the Association’s mandate;
- Building Strategic Partnerships;